By: Kendall Jones on August 23rd, 2019
Infographic: 3 Ways Tech is Reshaping Construction
Technology is rapidly changing how we design and construct the built environment. It's allowed us to build stronger, taller, and more energy efficient structures. Technology has made construction sites safer and workers more efficient. It has allowed us to increase productivity, improve collaboration, and tackle more complex projects.
Internet connected equipment and tools, telematics, mobile apps, autonomous heavy equipment, drones, robots, augmented and virtual reality, and 3D printed buildings are just a handful of the tech being deployed and used on jobsites across the world.
The infographic below details three ways tech is having a major impact on the construction industry.
- Software and cloud-based mobile apps deliver real-time collaboration and communication.
- Offsite construction methods deliver projects in a fraction of the time.
- Artificial Intelligence and machine learning can monitor real-time jobsite progress, creating real-time data.
Reduce Worker Deaths
- Augmented reality and virtual reality allow for more detailed safety plans and improved virtual training.
- Wearables embed sensors into hard hats, gloves, safety vests, and work boots to track worker movements.
- Site sensors can be used to monitor, collect, and analyze data and send safety alerts.
Overcome Labor Shortage
- Drones can be used for inspections, to document progress, identify hazards, site surveying, and monitoring workers.
- Robots can do simple, repetitive tasks like lifting and laying bricks.
- Autonomous heavy equipment can be used on jobsites to perform excavation, grading, and sitework.
For a more in-depth look at how technology is making the construction industry safer, more productive, and more efficient, check out our blog post, How Technology is Reshaping the Construction Industry.
About Kendall Jones
Kendall Jones is the Editor in Chief at ConstructConnect. He has been writing about the construction industry for years, covering a wide range of topics from safety and technology to industry news and operating insights.